|AllÂ»India-Special School In Kerala
|Project Name:||Special School in Kerala|
|City/Town:||Kerala, South India|
|Address:||Mavelikara, Alappuzha District|
|Commitment:||Three month minimum placement, longer placements encouraged|
|People Needed:||2 volunteers at any one time, can be single women, couples or families also very welcome|
|Description:||Volunteers are invited to share their skills in sport, art and craft, dance or music with small groups of children with a range of learning disabilities at Jyothis Special School in Mavelikara.|
|Contact Person:||Caroline Mayfield Howson|
Note: This project has a small fee required.
- This does come at a small cost to you. For a three month placement we charge 450 pounds sterling to cover the costs of the services mentioned below. Kerala Link is a charity registered in the UK and your money does not pay any UK salaries, as everyone involved in the administration of Kerala Link in the UK is a volunteer. Should the money you pay exceed the expenses incurred, these excess funds will be directed to a fundraising account to benefit the children and staff at Jyothis School.
- Jyothis School provides a warm, caring home for dozens of children and young adults with special educational needs from the surrounding area. Since 2002, over 20 volunteers have brought their individual skills and talents to the school, enriching the lives of the Jyothis children and staff.
- Volunteers are made to feel very welcome and they become part of the ‘Jyothis family’, working four days per week at the school, leavng long weekends free to travel around the beautiful state of Kerala.
- Kerala Link volunteers live in a clean, furnished, self-contained apartment above a local family home, set within a lovely garden of coconut, mango, banana, papaya and other trees. The apartment has electricity, ceiling fans and running water, a fridge and water filter.
- Kerala Link provides a bicycle and mobile phone for volunteers' use.
- Before departure we provide you with detailed information about your placement, the school and the town in which it is situated and give pre-departure training.
- Kerala Link employs a local representative who will provide you with a full orientation program during your first two weeks in Kerala, include language tuition.
- The Kerala Link representative will continue to assist you throughout your placement with language lessons, and with any other requirements you may have (Indian cookery lessons have been very popular!).
- Our UK Co-ordinator will also continue to be available via e-mail for continued guidance and support.
- We are committed to providing a very rewarding volunteer experience for you so that you may provide a rewarding experience for those with whom you work.
- We would like to encourage you to raise funds to help meet these costs to you and to further enable you to finance projects of your choice once in Kerala. You will find that a little goes a long way in India!
- We especially need volunteers with talents for art, craft, sports, drama, music, dance, etc.
- Professional special educators most welcomed: Speech therapists, physiotherapists in advisory capacity needed
- Anyone else with a specific skill to offer these children is encouraged to do so.
- A willingness to have a go at learning the basics of Malayalam, the local language will be necessary to make your volunteer experience more rewarding for yourself and the children.