|AllÂ»India-Womens Centre In Kerala
|Project Name:||Women's center in Kerala|
|City/Town:||Kerala, South India|
|Address:||Thiruvalla, Pathanamthitta District|
|Commitment:||Three month minimum placement, longer placements encouraged|
|People Needed:||2 volunteers at any one time, must be women|
|Description:||Volunteers can work within a variety of projects run by the Sevika Sanghom Women’s Centre in Thiruvalla|
|Contact Person:||Caroline Mayfield Howson|
Note: This project has a small fee required.
- This does come at a small cost to you. We charge 300 pounds sterling for the minimum 6 week placement, or 150 pounds sterling per month for longer placements. This fee covers the costs of all the services mentioned below. Kerala Link is a charity registered in the UK and your money does not pay any UK salaries, as everyone involved in the administration of Kerala Link in the UK is a volunteer. Should the money you pay exceed the expenses incurred, these excess funds will be directed to the Kerala Link fundraising account where it will be used to support one of our current appeals.
- We would like to encourage you to raise funds to help meet these costs to you and to further enable you to finance projects of your choice once in Kerala. You will find that a little goes a long way in India!
- Volunteers can work within a variety of projects run by the Sevika Sanghom Women’s Centre in Thiruvalla. This large and diverse centre is run by women for groups of women at various times of need in their lives. There is a Girl’s Home for destitute youngsters where the volunteer is invited to share her skills in art, craft, music, song, etc. There is a retirement home for single elderly women where the volunteer could teach crafts, play cards or chat with the residents. There is a rehabilitation centre where volunteers are invited to or interact with mentally ill women and the centre also runs a primary school where the volunteer could help out.
- Volunteers are expected to work four days per week at the centre, leaving long weekends free to travel around the beautiful state of Kerala.
- Kerala Link volunteers live in a clean, furnished, self-contained apartment above a local family home, set within a lovely garden of coconut, mango, banana, papaya and other trees. The apartment has electricity, ceiling fans and running water, a fridge and water filter.
- Kerala Link provides a bicycle and mobile phone for volunteers' use.
- Before departure we provide you with detailed information about your placement, the centre and the town in which it is situated and give pre-departure training.
- Kerala Link employs a local representative who will provide you with a full orientation program during your first week in Kerala, including language tuition.
- The Kerala Link representative will continue to assist you throughout your placement with language lessons, and with any other requirements you may have (Indian cookery lessons have been very popular!).
- Our UK Co-ordinator will also continue to be available via e-mail for continued guidance and support.
- We are committed to providing a very rewarding volunteer experience for you so that you may provide a rewarding experience for those with whom you work.
- We especially need volunteers with talents for art, craft, sports, drama, music, dance, etc.
- Professionals in the mental health sector welcomed in an advisoty capacity. Speech therapists, physiotherapists in advisory capacity needed
- Anyone else with a specific skill to offer these women is encouraged to do so.
- A willingness to have a go at learning the basics of Malayalam, the local language will be necessary to make your volunteer experience more rewarding for yourself and the women.